Risperdal (risperidone) is an antipsychotic drug which has been approved by the FDA for the treatment of schizophrenia in adults and children. It is also widely accepted for treating autism in pediatric patients and bipolar disorder in both adults and adolescents.
The drug helps to change the dopamine level of the brain, similar to what any other class of atypical antipsychotics would do. Eventually, it creates a more focused and positive thought process in everyday life.
Sadly, this drug has been related to some serious health hazards. The following are the most commonly reported side effects of Risperdal which led to individual lawsuits as well as class action lawsuits against the manufacturing company:
- Gynecomastia: This is the most serious concern as Risperdal has been known to increase the levels of prolactin in boys that leads to enlarged breast tissues. It can even cause lactation at times. The complication is seen in women too which leads to unwanted nipple discharge, irregular menstruation cycle or even difficulty in pregnancy. But for men, it leaves a lifelong emotional scar.
- Tardive dyskinesia is a severe health condition which has been found in patients with prolonged use of Risperdal. Although rare, the condition leads to unusual involuntary movement of the tongue, face and different other body parts causing social discomfiture. It is more general among elderly patients suffering from dementia.
- Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome (NMS) is another one of the most serious side effects of Risperdal but is of rare occurence. Kidney failure, heavy sweating, frequent high fever, stiffness in muscles, rapid heartbeats, confusion, and fluctuating blood pressure are the common signs of the condition. NMS if not treated immediately can be fatal.
- Risperdal can cause metabolic changes that can lead to the risk of cardiac arrests as well as strokes. Blood sugar fluctuations, frequented urination, reduced hunger, weight gain and fluctuations in the cholesterol level in the body are commonly reported in patients who have been using the drug for a long time.
- Sleepiness, nausea, increased saliva, heartburn, dry mouth, dizziness, restlessness are some of the commonly reported signs of Risperdal intake.
With a dedicated team of trial lawyers, Risperdal411 can help patients determine whether their case is eligible for financial compensation.